Don't be in a rush to get your turkey this Thanksgiving. NC Highway Patrol will be along the interstate every 20 miles. And it's not just Thanksgiving day you have to worry about but the entire Holiday weekend.
The troopers 'will be in full force' on the roads from Wednesday, Nov. 21 through Sunday, Nov. 25. positioned every 20 miles along major interstates.
Highway Patrol recommends several tips to ensure safer driving in high-volume traffic:
- Plan Ahead - Expect delays and plan to use alternate routes
- Reduce Speed - Speeding is still the leading cause of traffic collisions
- Increase Following Distances – A two-second lead time among vehicles is encouraged
- Avoid Distracted Driving – Driver focus should be solely on driving
- Never Drive Impaired – Plan ahead; designate a sober driver, us a taxi or contact a ride service
- Lane Clearance - If involved in a collision without injury, remove vehicles to shoulder
So if you plan on traveling next week, just leave early and enjoy your Thanksgiving vacation!!!