Girl Loses Presents in House Fire; First Responders Donate Gifts

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Crews were working to put out a house fire in north Charlotte on Christmas Day.

It happened around 5 p.m. Wednesday in the 2600 block of Lasalle St. near Beatties Ford Rd.

Reports said smoke was showing from the house.

Neighbors alerted the person who was inside the home at the time of the fire. In all, four people were displaced because of the damage.

The fire started in an attached storage room and spread to the attic.

Charlotte Fire called the fire accidental, saying something combustible near the water heater may have sparked it.

The only person who was inside the home at the time the fire started was a sleeping teenage boy.

"I started smelling something. I didn’t know what it was, but I just got up, and I was like that doesn’t smell too good," Justin Navaez said.

The family was displaced, including a 4-year-old girl who lost most of her Christmas presents in the fire.

"Fire service never stops, and on Christmas Day, it’s especially tough when you see a family displaced," Battalion Fire Chief Joshua Johnson said.

In response, the fire department decided to donate Christmas gifts they still had available for the little girl to enjoy.

Visit WCNC for more details.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content