Evanger's has issued a voluntary recall of its Hunk of Beef dog food after the company found one lot to be contaminated with Pentobarbital, a drug that can be fatal to animals.
They're recalling 12-oz Hunk of Beef Au Jus cans manufactured between June 6 and 13. They were distributed and sold in South Carolina, along with Washington, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Georgia and Florida.
The recall says animals that ingest it can have side effects of drowsiness, dizziness, loss of balance, nausea or in extreme cases, death.
Product that start with these lot numbers are being recalled: 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB and expire June 2020.
"If consumers still have cans with the aforementioned lot numbers, he or she should return it to the place of purchase for a full refund," the company says.
Nikki Mael, who lives in Washington, says she fed her four dogs the product on New Year's Eve and within minutes saw terrible side effects and rushed them to the vet.
Mael says 2 of her 4 dogs ate more than the others and experienced the most issues and one of her pugs unfortunately died.
"They were falling over. So I grabbed them all and took them to the emergency vet. And when they got there, they were just limp. They weren't moving or anything. And so they were in ICU. Tito and Talula ate the most [food] and Talula passed away," Mael said.