Have you ever wanted to own a farm? Now could be the time!
A woman is offering to give away her Bennett, NC 12.68 acre farm to one couple who enter her essay contest.
The contest is open to people who "are aspiring farmers" and "believe there's no better calling in life than raising organic food."
The winning 200-word essay on why you want to own and operate the farm will receive:
- Certificate of title to Bluebird Hill Farm, valued at $450,000.
- Depending on number of entries, winner will get $50,000 for transition costs
- Documentation on all aspects of operating the farm, including the organic certification process, and an introduction to Bluebird Hill Farm's suppliers and community.
The farm includes a farmhouse, a greenhouse, a high tunnel for season extension, a farm cat to keep mice away, a 2009 silver Honda Element with Bluebird Hill Farm signage, John Deere tractor, John Deere mower, a lavender harvester, two ponds, lavender fields, a distillery to make essential oils, expansive gardens and plenty of pastures.
So, who can enter? The website says entrants must be:
- Committed couples only, no single entrants
- One member of the couple must be between 25 and 50
- Must submit single-page resumes that describe skills/experience relevant to organic farming
- Must submit a $300 entry fee
- Must enter by June 1, 2017